Nowadays our computers are the central location for storing all the important photographs, videos, personal files and similar other documents. But, what if your system crashes? What will happen to all the crucial information you had stored in your Windows or Mac PC? The only way you can save yourself from falling in this false position is by taking regular backups.
In this post about how to back up Windows 7 to 10 and MacOS X 10.5-10.13 we will explore few of the steps you will have to take to accomplish this critical task. So, let us delve into the details in the next few sections.
How to back up Windows 7 to 10 and MacOS X 10.5-10.13?
Task #1: Back up Windows 7-10 PC
Step 1: Bring in a Suitable Storage Device
Your aim should be to find a storage device that is able to store all the data present in your system. Ideally, it should be a device that is almost twice in storage capacity in comparison to the drive that is to be backed up.
As such, it would be better to utilize an external hard disk for this purpose. In addition to it, you may well create a separate partition on your computer for backing up the data but that will not be a feasible solution since, if the computer is affected by virus or any other problem then your backup will be lost.
Step 2: Plug-in the Device
Next thing you will have to do is plug-in the device to your computer using a USB cable and after that you need to initiate the backup process. For this you will have to:
- Press Windows button and s button together on your keyboard to initiate the search functionality.
- Type backup and press enter.
- In the next Window, click on More Options and then in the following Window, click on – See Advanced Settings. These steps will open up the File History window.
- You can also right-click on Windows icon on left corner of the screen, select settings, choose Update and Security in next Window and in next screen, select Backup in the left panel.
Step 3: Initiate the Backup Process
- In the File History window you will have to click on Advanced Settings option in the left panel to make necessary changes such as: time interval between each of the backups of your files, how long the saved versions are to be kept and similar other options.